Photograph of Gott Library building in 1921 when it was a residence. Photographer unknown. Gott Library Collection.
John K. Gott Library
The Gott Library is housed in an historic building known as the Old Stone Academy in Marshall, Virginia It was a church, a school, a community building, a residence, and now a library.
John K. Gott was a local historian and native of Marshall who donated his personal library to a non-profit foundation so that his collection could be shared with the public.
Several other historians also donated collections of material which, along with Gott's contribution, form most of the library's collection. For more information, see Special Collections.
The Old Stone Academy
The main library building is the largest and oldest artifact in the collection. Built in 1771 as Upper Carter's Run Baptist Church, it subsequently was used as a schoolhouse for 100 years and as a community facility for all manner of civic and religious activities. Townspeople affectionately called it the Old Stone Academy. For more information, see the Timeline of the Gott Library Building.
Photo by Tiffany Kelsey 2021
Robert L. Sinclair Education Center
The Center opened on October 14, 2017 and serves as a venue for lectures and other educational events.
Currently on display is an extensive collection of 19th and 20th century local maps and photographs of Main Street in Marshall, Virginia.
The archives of the Fauquier Democrat newspaper, the library's latest acquisition, are also housed in the center.
Mr. Sinclair is a county native whose family roots stretch back more than 200 years in Fauquier. He retired after a career as a teacher and principal in Fauquier County Public Schools.
Mr. Sinclair also served on the county planning commission and as chairman of the Public Library, and as chairman of Fauquier's 250th anniversary committee in 2009.
Photo by Laura Kelsey 2019
Board of Directors and Officers
Board of Directors
G. Edward Ashby
Ava K. Lee
Helen M. Saulsbury
Ava K. Lee
Ruth Payne Nelson
Robert L. Sinclair